Life without Limits – Collateral Benefits

Posted by on August 1, 2012

By Craig Wilson

col·lat·er·al  /kəˈlætərəl/ Show Spelled[kuhlat-er-uhl] – accompanying or parallel

When you hear the word collateral you don’t think of benefits accompanying it do you? But I realized today that is exactly what’s happening with our Life without Limits group.
Unexpected benefits are springing up everywhere.

One day while riding my bike to school I joined up with a student, Corey, who I hadn’t really known before. We got to talking and now I know him and he has joined our DECA team. Then I was talking to him about our upcoming meeting and another student, Nia, got interested and is excited to be part of DECA too.

With the new quarter, Kira Gallagher got the noon walking club going. Everyday, whoever is available, will go out walking. I can’t join them most days because I’m teaching over the noon hour, but I see them walk by my classroom window and I’m so jealous! I got to join them today. We go for a mile and half. Not only is it good exercise, but it’s a chance to talk and get to know one another on a very casual basis. It’s a great way to build relationships and comaraderie.

Another benefit is that we have a FaceBook page where we’re posting recipes that are healthy and easy to make. This helps us to have a quick resource when looking for something as an alternative to a frozen meal or fast food after a long day at work.

Tomorrow morning we’re meeting together at the St. Paul Farmer’s Market for fun and to find some good fresh food for home. It’s going to be awesome to meet away from school with no real agenda but to enjoy each other’s company along with our spouses and friends while doing something fun and healthy.

I guess that’s the real point of Life without Limits, incorporating a healthy lifestyle into our everyday life. This is not a diet, or plan with an end goal or target, it’s creating a new
paradigm for living the rest of our lives. A collateral benefit is that we are enjoying deeper friendships along the way!

Oh – I’m down eight pounds too.

Carpe Diem – Life without Limits!!