Competence, Courage, Passion & Perseverance

Not Necessarily in that Order

By: Craig Wilson

Competence, Courage, Passion, and PerserveranceI believe that competence, courage, passion and perseverance are the attributes that allow us to succeed and reach our goals. This quarter I am going to writing weekly blogs that address various aspects to each of these. Last week I posted about the struggles of Research In Motion, the maker of BlackBerry smart phones. Somewhere along the way they lost passion for continually striving to be innovative and the courage to try new advances in smart phone technology. This has led them to becoming a non-factor in the current marketplace. I believe success starts with passion that leads to the courage it takes to persevere. Perseverance will develop the competence we need to achieve our goals.

An incredible example of the embodiment of these principles is Jim Jackson, former wrestling coach at Apple Valley High School. Jim retired this Spring with a record of 619 wins – 26 losses and 3 ties in a coaching career that spanned 32 years. His teams won 12 of the past 13 state championships!

According to the Pioneer Press, “Former Apple Valley standout Destin McCauley, a five-time Minnesota high school champion currently training at the U.S. Olympic facility in Colorado Springs, Colo., said Jackson was strong in the face of adversity.” He persevered.

You see this pattern modeled over and over again in all walks of life from wrestlers to Steve Jobs to Mother Theresa. Passion fuels courage to go beyond our obstacles to really make a difference in this world.

I close this session with a bit about the late Jeff Healey. His was an incredible guitarist who lost both his eyes to cancer as an infant of eight months. He never saw how a guitar was supposed to be played, but that didn’t stop him from mastering the instrument in his own unique style.

Unfortunately Mr. Healey died from cancer in 2008 just before he turned 42. Below is his performance of “See the Light” from 1988 when he was 22.

It makes me realize that what I see as obstacles in my life are minor annoyances.