5 Study Tips from a Former Student

Top 5 Study HabitsIf there has been one thing I learned throughout my years of education, effectively studying is on the top of that list. Studying unfamiliar material does not come natural to many people, including myself, so I used these tips to help me through my education.

1. Schedule a time to study. This may sound silly, but many students will study whenever they become not as busy with their lives. While this makes sense, it can create some tension in your schedule. Make sure to have open times throughout the week to study. This will create less frustration with tight deadlines and actually open up more time.
  2. Focus on one area of study at a time. Many of us have many different areas of study in our schedules. Pick one topic to study at one time. I remember writing a paper for one class and still be thinking about another paper I had to write for another class. Just concentrate on the task at hand. This will give you a much higher quality outcome for each assignment.
  3. Take a break. I know this sounds trivial, but the mind needs rest. If the information you are trying to learn is becoming harder to learn than when you started, take a break. It could be as short as 5-10 minutes. Put the books down and get away from the computer for a short time. It will help you be ready to digest more information when you return.
  4. Tailor your studying to your strengths. If you can read the information and learn it, than read it over and over until you get it. For visual learners, find a way to see the information besides just in words. Look up your topic in YouTube and see if there are videos about the information. If you learn by hearing, make sure you listen to the instructor in class. Afterwards, read your notes out loud to yourself. If you are a hands-on learner like me, you may want to find some activities that help you learn the material. No better way to learn how to create an income statement than by actually doing it.
  5. For research topics or case studies, thoroughly read the materials ahead of time. Then put it away for a day. Allowing the information to soak in will help answer the questions when you come back to it. Pick it back up a day or two later and reread it. This time, you will be able to focus on the questions you came up with prior. You will be surprised how much you remember.

Utilizing these tips throughout my education allowed me to get better grades and learn the information. These tips are tried and true for college students. Give it a try and push yourself beyond your limits. You will surprise yourself at what you can accomplish. Good luck this quarter!

REQUEST INFORMATION

Submitting this form constitutes your consent to be contacted by email, phone and/or text message from a representative of Minnesota School of Business.