Life Without Limits – Craig Wilson’s True Confessions

Craig Wilson, Accounting Chair and roving reporter back from Seoul, South Korea, but still not fully recovered.  I know, I know, you’re happy for me, but you want the true confessions. Ok, it’s been a tough couple of weeks for my plan. That being said, this trip represents a lot of what I’m talking about with Life without Limits. There wasn’t anything on this trip where I had to say, “I’m not sure I’m up for that.” From going up on Mount Nam to see Seoul sprawled below us, to eating the food of Korea, to miles of walking – I did it all. I also didn’t live according to my plan.

13 hour non-stop flights are tough on the body and I didn’t get up or stretch enough. My body was very sore getting off the plane in Seoul and back home. The hotel room didn’t have a good place to stretch either, so I would just lie on the bed. I came home very stiff and sore.

When it comes to food I’m fairly adventurous, after a week of Korean food though I needed a break. At Seoul Tower I found the Manhattan Grill offering “the best burger in Seoul”. I have to say that there really wasn’t much competition. The burger was really good and the fries were awesome! They were thinly sliced and well-seasoned. Oops, that’s one of my true confessions! I really need to avoid these kinds of foods. Plus, this has been a pattern of mine – when I start feeling like I’m suffering, I believe I’m owed something. So I treat myself.

Now that I think about it I did the same thing at O’Hare Airport in Chicago. Because our flight from Seoul got to Chicago late, we missed our connecting flight home. We had hours to wait, and there it was – Garrett’s Popcorn – the oiliest most wonderful caramel corn in the world!! It was actually talking to me, saying, “Buy me, eat me, you poor thing, you need a treat.” I obeyed the voice. This is a good example of what we talked about in the week 2 blog about what happens when we’re stressed and fatigued.

Here are the nutritional facts from Garrett’s website:

CARAMELCRISP® POPCORN

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size:  1 Cup (30g) Servings Per Container: varies, Amount Per Serving: Calories 140, from Fat 60, Total Fat 7g (DV 11%), Saturated Fat 4.5g (DV 23%), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 15mg (DV 5%), Sodium 95mg (DV 4%), Total Carbohydrate 22g (DV 7%), Dietary Fiber 1g (DV 4%), Sugars 15g, Protein 1g, Vitamin A (DV 6%), Vitamin C (DV 0%), Calcium (DV 2%), Iron (DV 2%)

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients: Brown Sugar, Unsalted Butter, Popcorn, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Baking Soda (leavening). ALLERGEN INFORMATION: Contains Milk. Produced in a kitchen that also processes peanuts, tree nuts, milk and soy. This product is Gluten-free.

Yet another true confession – I ate more than one serving. Ok already – maybe it was about four servings! There I said it.

Once we got home it’s been so hot I haven’t ridden my bike to school even once this week.
Yesterday was the 4th of July – ‘nuff said.

Now for the really important part – where do I go from here? In the past, a couple of weeks like this would derail me. Not this time. I’m going to follow Lu Herbeck’s advice from Week 1 – Lu: Be kind to yourself. Minimize the negative self-talk.

Holly’s calling – dinner’s ready.

I’m back now with great news. Holly made a simple, tasty and healthy dinner of creamy avocado and white bean paste. It was tremendous, and is helping get me back on track. Here’s the recipe if you’re interested:

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, (see Note)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups shredded red cabbage
  • 1 medium carrot, shredded
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons minced red onion
  • 4 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat wraps, or tortillas

Preparation

1. Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chile and salt in a medium bowl. Add cabbage, carrot and cilantro; toss to combine.
  2. Mash beans and avocado in another medium bowl with a potato masher or fork. Stir in cheese and onion.
  3. To assemble the wraps, spread about 1/2 cup of the bean-avocado mixture onto a wrap
    (or tortilla) and top with about 2/3 cup of the cabbage-carrot slaw. Roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut the wraps in half to serve, if desired.

Tips & Notes

• Ingredient
    Note:
    Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with the Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep at least 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.

Nutrition

Per serving: 346 calories; 17 g fat ( 4 g sat , 9 g mono ); 15 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 13 g fiber; 462 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium. Vitamin A (60% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).

You can view more information on their website as well.

A special thank you to Holly. I am now back on track to Life without Limits!