The Truth As We See it: The Fourth of July

Editor’s note: Richard Anderson is back this week to express gratitude to our founding fathers, and mothers!

July 4, 1776

I had a huge list of all the things I wanted and needed to talk about such as, “What is the real number of uninsured?”,  “Hello 9% Unemployment”, “When is a tax not a tax, but a penalty tax, which you may or may not have to pay?”, “Voting Fraud”,  “I know at least 25 John Does”, or “How I saw a GDP and Cried”. These will come… but what really struck me this weekend is, “How can a mediocre schlep (like me) from Detroit make it?”

Then it came to me. If it wasn’t for those immensely brave, courageous and forward thinking founding fathers, I would be working in some salt mine today. I am a bit of a USA history buff, and I still marvel at what these individuals did 236 years ago on an extremely hot (not unlike today) day in Philadelphia. Only two individuals signed the Declaration of Independence that day, President of Congress, John Hancock and Secretary of Congress,
Charles Thomson. They wanted an authenticated and printed copy for all to sign which would take another month to prepare and ultimately signed by all on August 2, 1776.

The most interesting point to the actual signing of the Declaration of Independence to me is not how we always talk about the “founding fathers” in immense positive terms, but we tend to ignore what really made this all possible, the wives of these brave men. They maintained the farms, businesses, children, fought illness and diseases and supported their husbands in often months-on-month’s absences.

Each and every one of these individuals, founding fathers and wives, knew that their lives were on the line, and in fact it became known later in history, that King George III actually had a hit list on both. I often wonder if I could ever be so brave.

We take time this fourth of July to acknowledge the Declaration of Independence and those magical words that Thomas Jefferson wrote, “We hold these truths to be
self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their
Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty,
and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are
instituted among men, deriving their power from the consent of the governed
.”

It is these words that have allowed me and my family to enjoy the fruits of my labor and success even though I would argue I am just an average Joe.  I have seen the world, done
things I would never have dreamt possible and have been able to speak my piece, no matter it be good or bad.

I certainly will take time out this fourth and say thank you to the founding fathers and mothers for which I owe so much.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!