3 Job Searching Tips for College Graduates

Posted by on June 19, 2012

If you Google “job searching tips for college graduates” the search results are endless. Most of the articles offer helpful advice, but it’s easy to get overwhelmed and caught up with all the suggestions about what to do and what not to do when job searching.

I admit it was tough for me to narrow down my job searching tips to only three tips, so I decided to take myself back in time, back when I was a recent college graduate…

Here are three things that I wish someone would have told me, when I started my job search as a recent college graduate:

1) Start your job search early.

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain

Finding the right job out of college can take a lot longer than people initially think, so it’s
important to get started before you graduate. Plus employers are always impressed by students who job search before graduation.

2) Utilize your career services department.

Your career services department has the latest information on employment trends, resume tips, and the skills employers are looking for. They might even have some contacts with companies that you are interested in. Whether it’s your resume, interviewing skills, or both that need a little work, utilize this resource. You will thank yourself later.

3) “Know Thyself “– Plato

In every step of your career search, it’s important to know your strengths, skills, and what types of companies you want to work for. If you don’t know your assets it will be hard to showcase them on your resume or even discuss them with a potential employer. If you are
struggling to figure out what makes you the best candidate, talk to your career services department for ways to discover your strengths.

Hopefully you will find these tips helpful with your job search. If you ask the Lakeville students, they will tell you that I have several more tips to share with students and graduates. Feel free to comment and add your own tip that you wish you would have known as a recent college graduate.