MSB’s Eric Hanson Wins Apple Duathlon

Posted by on May 29, 2012

Eric Hanson with several of his Apple Duathlon trophies

Associate Director of Financial Aid at Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud Eric Hanson was happy to win his 6th first place apple trophy at the Sartell Apple Duathlon this past weekend–despite wet and chilly weather conditions.

“My time was a minute and a half slower than last year,” he said. “I got off the bike and shook for 45 minutes.”

This year, Hanson rode bike and his partner, Melissa Jansen, ran to the first place trophy.

2012 marked the 30th anniversary for the non-profit Apple Duathlon, a 5K run–33K ride-5K run, and Hanson said it draws elite athletes from all across the country. “It’s definitely my favorite race,” he said. “Very well run, very well organized. The city gets behind the event. I bike it every year.”

Despite the torrential rain, volunteers kept the riders and runners safe at intersections and directed the flow of the race. Hanson said there were also plenty of hardcore fans who “stuck it out” along the course as well.

Health Fitness Chair Scott Eide also participated in the race but had a flat tire. “He wasn’t too happy,” Hanson said.

Eide, who has been a contender in the race since 1990, concurred. “It was not a fun day.”

He, too, suffered from the wet and cold, and the flat tire cost him and his relay partner precious time. “We still came in 4th, even with the flat,” Eide said, “but it is disappointing not to be able to compete at your best.”

On the flip-side, Eide’s son Noah won first place in his age division in the kid’s duathlon race.

The Apple Duathlon keeps bringing them back.

In 2008, Hanson suffered a bike crash that caused spinal and elbow injuries which later required surgery.  “I can’t run now,” he said, “but I’ll keep biking [in the duathlon] as long as I’m competitive.”

When asked if he would comptete again after the miserable weather and bad luck this year, Eide conceded, “probably.”

True dedication to the sport and to the event. We’ll check in again next year, guys!