Making connections and networking is an important part of any job seeker’s search.
Networking can help you find unadvertised jobs; provide opportunities for you to practice your elevator pitch, and allow you to conduct mini informational interviews with everyone you meet.
Although the benefits of networking are widely understood, many people do not know where to start when it comes to finding opportunities to network.
Here is a list of places to find different networking groups:
• Clubs and groups at school ( ex: SCNAFTA, IT Club, DECA)
• Professional Organizations ( ex: AITP, MPA, MSCJ)
• Ask career services, instructors, program chairs, friends and family about upcoming events and career fairs
• Search groups on LinkedIn or search for LinkedIn Events
• Check out these websites: www.meetup.com; Facebook, Eventbrite, Twtvite, Eventful
• Volunteer: www. Volunteermatch.org or www.handsontwincities.org
• Create your own networking group