Let’s Talk About Communication…OMG…LOL…BRB

Posted by on April 23, 2012

Every single day, I see this new language emerging as a standard among the younger generation. This language is all capital letters and usually only 3 or 4 characters in length. Seeing my job is mainly communications, this intrigues me a little.

I scroll through Facebook or Twitter to see this acronym that is being called “text message lingo.” I am positive that if you do it just right, you can speak in only this type of communication.

This is interesting because it was created to cut down on the length of messages being sent out. Text messages can only be 160 characters in length. This means you message needs to be quick, concise, and straight to the point. If the message goes over, it will be delivered as two messages.

The confusing part to me is the effect that this is having in our daily communication. This type of communication had carried over from reducing space in a message into normal, daily messages. These messages could be in the form of emails, instant messenger, and even speech. That is correct, I said speech. Have you ever heard somebody say “O-M-G” or “L-O-L”? What used to be “oh my gosh” or “laugh out loud” has now been reduced to three letters.

What do you think? Is this just a fad or is text lingo here to stay?

If you are interested in seeing more of this text message lingo, check out this website: http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

G2G, CUL8R!