Eighth-Graders Brunch with MSB Students and Staff

Posted by on April 23, 2012

8th Graders have a lot to think about: School. Sports. Parents. Angry Birds.

Cory Ley Talks with South Jr High Students

Yes, college. Counselors at South Junior High in St. Cloud asked Minnesota School of Business students and staff to join the College Brunch discussion group to help 8th graders better understand what a college education and lifestyle are like.

Students may say they want to go to college but not know exactly what that means, the counselors emphasized. Inviting college students to an informal discussion allows the youngsters a chance to ask questions and learn from real-life experiences.

Cory Ley, an Interactive Media and Graphic Design student, was excited to participate and hopes for the opportunity to do it again.

“It helped me to realize the information I do know, and it felt good to help them.”

Tambra Garza Makes a Point

Tambera Garza was able to relate to the students from the unique perspective of being an alumna of MSB and a current employee.

“I loved the experience in telling my story and getting to know the students at South Jr. High,” she said. “The girls thought it was cool that I was hired at MSB upon graduation. I don’t think Financial Aid interested them that much, but I explained that I get to educate students about some important issues in getting funded for school and how to find ways to cut the costs. They seemed to be more interested in knowing I went back to school a little later on and that I was still in school working on my Master’s degree.”

The South Junior High counselors were very appreciative of the MSB staff and student efforts.

“You brought enthusiasm and expertise to the morning,” Laurie Putnam said. “Our students had a great time.”

Since this meeting, South has scheduled an on-campus workshop and tour of the Minnesota School Business.