Have Professional Athletes Lost Touch with Reality?

Posted by on April 9, 2012

I keep thinking back to a conversation that I participated in the other day with a Minnesota School of Business Alumni, Chris. It was about injuries and the recovery process. I will present some of the conversation here that really interests me.

Chris and I both have had surgery recently at the same location. When you walk into this medical facility, there are sports jerseys and autographed pictures on every wall. This facility delivers top of the line orthopaedic service to many of Minnesota’s athletes. This place is Tria Orthopaedic Center in Bloomington, Minnesota.

We were discussing our experiences with Tria. Both experiences were very positive. Well, as positive as they can be when getting surgery for hurting joints. The high profile patients that get seen at this facility definitely boost your confidence in your surgical team and doctors. If a millionaire baseball player trusts his throwing arm with them, I can trust them too.

Chris was there the other day and saw a ball player. The doctor was speaking to the coach or trainer. The ball player had head phones in and was not listening to the conversation about his injury. This is completely different than the average person.

When they are discussing my health problems, I listen carefully so that I can make good decisions. It is interesting that someone would not want to be part of the conversation about their future and their own health.

What are your thoughts? Do you think that professional athletes should care more about their health? Would you want someone else dictating your recovery without your input?