Alumni Q & A: Taylor Marks Five Years With Minnesota Twins

Posted by on March 27, 2012

Working in sports is a dream for many. For 2008 Minnesota School of Business-Plymouth graduate Lyndsey Taylor, it’s a reality.

Taylor landed a job with the Minnesota Twins accounting department in February 2007 while she was still a student at MSB-Plymouth. She finished her bachelor’s degree in accounting in August 2008 and recently gave birth to her first child in December.

Q: How did you get your job with the Twins?

Taylor: I was actually looking online in the offseason, because I’m a fan, and I thought I’d see what the Twins had available. At the time I was working for a telecom company doing their payroll and I saw [the Twins had] an accounting position open. I was going to school, and they didn’t have any education requirements listed in the job description, so I thought ‘why not?’

So I looked online and found the accounting manager’s contact information and sent him an email with my resume telling him what I was doing professionally, with school and where I wanted to go with my career.

The next morning he called me for an interview. That happened very fast, so I came in and met with the accounting manager and the finance director. Then a couple weeks later I got a call back, and met with the senior vice president of business administration and the vice president of human resources, and a week later they offered me the job.

I wasn’t expecting anything [from the initial email], but I just put myself out there and luckily that’s what I got in return.

Q: What’s your favorite part about working for the Twins?

Taylor: I love the people working with me. Everybody buys into the culture of Twins Baseball and it just makes coming to work every day awesome. I love it here, even in the
offseason and when the team doesn’t do well, I still love it.

Q: How did MSB prepare you for your job?

Taylor: I went to a state school and loved and hated it at the same time. The things I liked
about MSB were the smaller classes and knowing [classmates] were all working towards the same thing. The teachers and faculty have been there before. They’ve been where you want to be and their knowledge of the content and experience in the business world I think helped a lot.

Q: What advice would you give to current students starting to look for a job?

Taylor: Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. I think that a lot of people, especially when they can hide behind the online world, do that. They think ‘I’m going to put my
resume out there’ but that’s all they do. Don’t be afraid to call and don’t give up. You have to put yourself out there to get results. I wouldn’t be here right now if not for that. The place I left for this job was bought three weeks after I left, so I would’ve been out of a job at the end of that year.

Things happen for a reason. If you have to start somewhere else to get an in, then do it. Take advantage of internships [the Twins have  approximately 35 interns this year]. A lot of the interns from past years are still here, while some have gone on to work for the Wild, Fox Sports North, Treasure Island and Target. The path that you take might not be direct, but it will get you to here you want to go if you work hard.