Student Choice, Student Access

Posted by on February 15, 2012

Career college students make their voices heard during Hill Day at state capitol   

More than 190 students and staff on the capitol steps ready to voice their need for
choice and access across higher education

Students shared their college experiences with legislators and stressed the importance of preserving their choice of higher education and access to state grant funding. Minnesota is one of six states that gives students attending for-profit colleges access to state funding.

Seventy-two Globe University/Minnesota School of Business (MSB) students attended. Here is what some of them told their legislators:
  • “I chose MSB because of the transfer credits. I am a veteran of 23 years in the Army and that showed with MSB. Other colleges were not willing to give me credit for that
    time.” –Heath Glassburn, MSB-Lakeville, criminal justice program
  • “I would not have been able to get the knowledge I have now if it was not for this school. The way they are set up has afforded me the opportunity to have a fair chance at
    education. I love this school and will continue to tell everyone that.”
    Lynelle Schimek, MSB-Lakeville, medical assistant program
  • “I like the small class sizes. It makes it personable. The instructors from the courses are
    experienced professionals from their fields. Those are the main reasons I chose MSB for my education.” –Michael Scholl, MSB-Lakeville, business administration program
The entire experience proved valuable to our students and staff alike:
  • “It’s so important for our students to be involved with telling our story – these are the people our state legislators want to hear from, and it can make such a difference if they
    continue to be engaged. Our students shared their stories with Senator Pam Wolf, and asked great questions. It was great to see such a wonderful representation from GU/MSB.” —Meghan Hathaway, MSB-Blaine communications/community relations specialist
  • “This is my second year attending Hill Day. Before working at MSB, I would have never found myself anywhere near the capitol or paying attention to anything political. Now, I am starting to understand it and enjoy it.” –Kayla Stai, MSB-Elk River, Commmunications/community relations specialist
Tom Hilla, MSB-Lakeville communications/community relations specialist, says the day ended positively.
“All three representatives we met with confirmed that they support our proprietary education sector, what we stand for and we provide,” he says.
Thank you and congratulations to all students and staff who participated in Hill Day. As Tom Kosel, GEN director of government relations, will tell you, “The world is run by those who show up.”