(This list was compiled by Rebecca White, Vet Tech student at MSB-Shakopee. Photo credit: Allison Burnham, VT student.)
Winter is cold, wet and nasty for everyone in Minnesota, including the animals. Here are a few helpful hints on how to make sure you provide your pet with the best possible care this winter season.
- Never leave your pet alone in the car. They could freeze to death.
- Unlike adult dogs and cats, puppies and kittens cannot stand the cold weather since their metabolism isn’t fully developed yet.
- Short-haired breed dogs need a sweater or coat to keep warm if staying outside for an extended period of time.
- Clean your pet’s paws after they come in from outside.
- Paws can collect ice and salt between the pads, which can create frostbite or other irritations.Do not cut long haired breeds’ coat in the winter. Just keep it combed and clean.With attention to these tips, your pet will stay healthy and safe during cold weather this winter.