Minnesota School of Business Success Story Alison Streiff

Posted by on November 3, 2011

Our very own Alison Streiff featured in 

Post Bulletin Article.

Your Job: Curves offers well-rounded fitness plan

Alison Streiff
Age: 26Job: Curves owner and career services coordinator at the Minnesota School of Business.Company: With its scientifically proven exercise and diet programs, Curves is the only one-stop shop where women can lose weight, gain muscle strength and aerobic capacity, and raise metabolism for good. Curves is about fitness, health and moving away from disease. Curves is about gaining strength and losing weight. Curves is about reaching your goals in a community of support and encouragement. Curves isabout strengthening women.Education: Master’s in business administration with an emphasis in human resources. Bachelor’s in business management with an emphasis in human resources, both from the Minnesota School of Business.

Experience: Intern for the Rochester Area Chamber of Commerce.

What book, website, television show or movie has left a big impression on you: “Keep Climbing,” a book by Sean Swarner, is about a cancer survivor who was determined to climb the highest mountain. With the goal set in place, Sean was able to prove that you can do anything you put your mind to. He was determined to live each day to the fullest and never give up, so he climbed Mount Everest. One quote from the book that lingers in my mind is, “I realized at a very young age that health is precious, and too many people don’t realize it until it’s slipping away, or worse yet, it’s gone.” This rolls over into not only my personal life, but my professional life as well. What we put in our mouth, deciding not to put ourselves first with daily exercise or not getting the annual checkup with the doctor can greatly affect our overall health.

Do you use social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter? I do utilize Facebook and have two accounts. One is for my personal use and the other is a professional account that I use to connect with my students and people I meet in the community. Another social media outlet I teach my students about at the Minnesota School of Business is LinkedIn. Not only do I require them to create an account, but to also connect with others within their profession.

What’s your business philosophy, if you could distill it to one paragraph? I am a firm believer in encouraging people to believe in themselves, follow their dreams and go after their own goals.  Hold yourself accountable and let others who think you can’t do it be your reason for succeeding.  Be an active member in life, not a passer-by.

How did you get into the fitness business? A friend of mine and owner of DNR Vending, Richard Hawkins, approached me about a potential business venture. We sat down one day over lunch and I knew from that moment on that I was destined to be an owner of Curves. Thanks to his belief in me, I opened a door that I did not see as an option.

With so many fitness choices, how do you stand out? Curves creates a sense of community — it is about being in a place where we know all of our members by name, celebrate birthdays together and really focus on strengthening women as a whole.

Reprint Originally Posted Oct.22 2011
Your Job runs each Saturday in the Your Money section. To be featured, contact Local News Editor Mike Klein at 281-7481 or mklein@postbulletin.com.