Interview with Vicki Lichty Paralegal Student at Minnesota School of Business Rochester

Posted by on November 3, 2011

Before attending MSB Rochester what was life like?

Before I attended MSB I received my AA degree from NICC in Calmar, IA.  I continue to work at the Cresco Fitness Center and have been there for over six years.  My husband is a farmer so I help with that as well and raise my two daughters.

Why did you choose Minnesota School of Business Rochester?

I came to MSB because I would like to go to law school and part of that process is getting a bachelors degree.  I chose MSB because they offer a BS paralegal program and the instructors work in the legal field so they have the experience to back up the knowledge.

Why did you decide to take on the Paralegal Program program?

I wanted to be an attorney when I was young.  I enjoy helping people and am not interested in the medical field.  I like parts of psychology but don’t think I would enjoy working in that field on a regular basis.  The legal field is interesting to me and challenging and it still allows me to help people.

Going into the program what did you expect it would be like?

I knew the program would require a significant amount of reading, research, and writing. 

Once in the program how did your initial take on the program change?

There are a lot more types of writing experiences than I had thought.  All the briefs, complaints, subpenas, memos, and everything else that goes into a trial notebook or anything else that would be used during the day in a law office was a little overwhelming at first.  You get the list of the required work and think you will never get it done, let alone get it right, but the instructors are very helpful and supportive.

What is your favorite subject and why?

My favorite subject so far has been a tie between litigation and legal research.  I chose these because they allowed for the greatest amount of hands-on work.  All of the classes are informative and will be useful but these two classes are more hands on learning and putting what you are learning into practice.

Your biggest challenge so far within the program has been? Why?

I would say my biggest challenge in this program has been legal research.  I think it is partly because it was my first quarter on campus, but also because the research part of law is a trial and error process.  I think it takes practice to get good at it and we were all very new to trying to figure out what terms to use to find what we were looking for.  I am looking forward to taking legal research II to gain more practice.

When do you graduate and with what degree?

I plan to graduate next fall with my BS paralegal degree.

Would you recommend this program to those interested in being a Paralegal?

I would definitely recommend this program to those interested in being a Paralegal.  The instructors are knowledgeable, helpful, supportive, and easy to get along with.  All of which is important when you are required to spend so much time with them.