Recent MSB Grad Ditches Shovel For New Career

Posted by on October 31, 2011

For more than a decade, breaking ground with a shovel, pouring concrete and hammering together walls were daily tasks for a recent Minnesota School of Business graduate.  Then one day she decided it was time to put down the shovel and pick up the phone to start looking for a new career.

Eventually, this new ambition lead Farrah Schwieger to Minnesota School of Business and more specifically, the massage therapy program.

“I knew the program was for me,” Farrah said.  “My best friend got me into essential oils and natural healing and the logical next step was massage.”

So after years of putting her body to work in the construction field, Farrah eventually said that’s enough and decided it was time to take care of her body and more importantly to her, find ways to make other people feel better too.

“My husband was behind me 100%, which made the decision to go to school much easier,” said Farrah.

While in college, Farrah excelled in her classes, participated in massage club activities and tutored other students.  Farrah was also named graduate of the quarter for Early Fall 2011 based on her commitment to her education, willingness to help other students and high academic records.

“Farrah is one of the most driven and dedicated students I have worked with,” said Doni Deters, Associate Director of Career Services.

Within days of graduating with an associate’s degree in massage therapy, Farrah snagged a job with the assistance of Doni.  “You can’t expect to make top dollar right after graduation,” Farrah said, “but helping people feel better sure beats construction!”