Staff Spotlight: Marien Fernandez-Paris

Posted by on October 10, 2011

Staff Name: Marien Fernandez-Paris

Title: Lead Math Instructor

How long have you been working for Minnesota School of Business? Since April 2009.

What did you do before working at MSB? I used to work for 3M.

What do you find most rewarding about your job? The most rewarding part of my job is mentoring my students beyond the topic of math. When I can encourage them to be professional and be the best in what they want to do.

What is your role with students on campus? My role is the lead math instructor and also coordinator of the Student Resource Center

How do you define success? Success is the journey of life. It is exceeding what we desired or we planned to achieved personally and professionally. We will have great moments and bad moments trying to acquire that success; however each of those attempts will help to build our self and to make us stronger to achieve our next success.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time? I like to do a lot of things but the most important: spending time with my family and friends; dancing like nobody is watching, and reading any type of book, especially in Spanish to help me not forget my Latin roots.

What/who is your inspiration? My Dad, he is one of the strongest people that I know. He was an instructor and he was really passionate about his work and life. He is my hero.

If you were on a sitcom or reality TV show, which would it be and why? Wow, I will say Dancing With the Stars. I know I’m not a star, but I would be the professional dancer. I used to dance long time ago and my dream as a little kid was to be a professional dancer. Therefore that would be my reality TV show.

What is your favorite movie? I have so many favorite movies, but if I have to pick one, it would be Pretty Woman.

What is your favorite type of music? My favorite type of music is Salsa; I love Latin music.

Where can you be found on campus? I can be found on campus in my office, room 212 (across from the library), or at the Student Resource Center.