As Technology Leaps Forward, Badges Accommodate

Posted by on September 27, 2011

Girl Scouts Learn About Technology and Computers to Earn Badges

It seems that technology is always moving forward at a fast pace. It also seems like it is not going to slow down anytime soon. So much so that it is hard to keep up. The girl scouts are trying to ensure that their young girls are keeping up with the changes.

Everybody knows that girl scouts and boy scouts are most proud of the badges they earn in different areas. These areas include things like fitness, hobbies, cooking, etc. Another addition to this is technology.

A troop of girl scouts needed some help in earning this badge. An Information Technology (IT) class at Minnesota School of Business in Lakeville was happy to oblige. The girls needed to learn about what makes a computer work.

After learning the different parts, they learned how to make it work by using a computer themselves. With a little assistance from the IT class, they learned how to turn a computer on and off, how to write a story, how to draw a picture, and how to use the Internet safely.  

“I had a lot of fun during the time we spent with the girl scouts,” said Dhaniram Geerdial, an IT high school advantage student at Minnesota School of Business.

Not only did the IT students have fun, they learned just as much as the girl scouts did from this experience. “Experiences like this actually help me more than the kids because I have to change the way I normally communicate to suit my audience,” said Michael Mathews, an IT student.