Building Hope, Building Homes

Posted by on September 20, 2011

When the call came out from Shakopee Chamber of Commerce President Angie Whitcomb, that Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity volunteers were deperately needed, Admissions Representative Samantha Kottke and Registrar Andrea Glynn didn’t hesitate to offer their time and energy.

Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity’s mission is to “eliminate poverty housing from the Twin Cities and to make decent, affordable shelter for all people a matter of conscience.”

Sam and Andrea joined the team made up of Shakopee Chamber and Rotary members to spend the day on the Shakopee construction site.

“It was awesome,” said Sam. “I got to meet a lot of new people, and, even though I didn’t have construction skills going in, the organizers found useful things for me to do where I could use creativity and organization.”

The home, a new, two-story, single family, 5 bedroom, 2 bath house with an attached garage, was being built over a three day period. Andrea and Sam painted a porch, filled casing holes, hauled garbage, swept and cleaned up at 1640 Phillip Way, Shakopee. Habitat acquired this land via an auction and will build ten homes in the development over the next three years. 

Said Andrea, “I have always wanted to do one of these and I’m glad the opportunity came up. Even if it wasn’t MSB related, I would do it again!”