Staff Spotlight: Jake Swanson

Posted by on September 13, 2011

Staff Name:  Jake Swanson        

Title:  Associate Dean of Students

How long have you been working for Minnesota School of Business?  Since September of 2009.

What did you do before working at MSB?  I was an elementary substitute teacher and I tended bar at the Green Mill.

What do you find most rewarding about your job?  I love that I am able to work with so many different people each day.  I have always wanted to work in an educational setting to be able to help others further their education.

What is your role with students on campus?  I assist with academic advising and answer questions regarding degree progress.  I also build the Blaine campus class schedule.

How do you define success?  Being able to do what makes you happy.

What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?  I thoroughly enjoy local music, trying new restaurants, and playing disc golf.

What/who is your inspiration?  I am inspired by happy and positive people.  People who, even when things may not be going the greatest still have a positive outlook.

If you were on a sitcom or reality TV show, which would it be and why?  This is not necessarily a sitcom or reality show but…  I am envious of Guy Fieri.  His show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives would be the greatest job ever!  I would love to drive a convertible around the nation, dye my beard different colors (if I could grow one, that is..), and eat awesome food in hole-in-the-wall restaurants all while being paid a hefty salary.

What is your favorite movie?  The Big Lebowski

What is your favorite type of music?  I listen to pretty much all types of music and typically prefer bands that haven’t “made it” yet.. basically anything that is played on The Current; although, my favorite bands include Red Hot Chili Peppers, Trampled by Turtles and 311.

Where can you be found on campus?  I reside in the Education Department right in the middle of “cube world.”