Motivated mom earns degree, gains rewarding career

Posted by on August 22, 2011

MSB-Brooklyn Center business managament graduate Christine Jackson

Christine Jackson is proud of the name plate on the door leading to her office that reads ‘Human Resources/Internal Manager’, and is equally, if not more proud she was able to earn a Bachelor’s degree from Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center while raising a family, working full time and attending school full time.

Jackson, who graduated from MSB-BC with a Bachelor’s in Business Management with an emphasis in human resources in June 2011, stepped through her office door at FBG Service Corporation just three weeks after walking across the stage at the spring quarter commencement ceremony with her diploma.

“It has been extremely rewarding to find a job in my career field,” said Jackson. “Not too many people are able to do so once they graduate. I feel so blessed to have been given this opportunity.”

Her journey from student to working professional wasn’t easy however, as Jackson had her share of obstacles to overcome along the way. When she first enrolled at MSB she was a single mother with one daughter working full time. Her responsibilities quickly grew as she was married and gave birth to two more girls, all while still attending classes at night and working.

Things got a little scary for Jackson and her husband after the birth of their youngest daughter, who was hospitalized for the first two weeks of her life after undergoing surgery less than a week after being born.

Ultimately it was her family that helped keep her motivated to press on and earn her degree.

“There was multiple times where I wanted to give up,” she said. “I just wanted to finish my regular full time job and at the end of the day just come home to snuggle with my girls. Every time I thought of this I just looked at my girls and thought that I had to give them more.”

Jackson’s sister encouraged her to get back into school and it was a coworker who introduced her to MSB.

“I used to work with someone who graduated from MSB and they told me to check it out.” Jackson said. “I was a single mother at that time and I knew I needed to do something more with my life.”

She added that earning her degree isn’t the only thing she’s gained from her time at MSB.

“I met by best friend Chelsea at BC and another close friend Christopher who have both graduated with their associates. I formed some of my closest relationships at BC.”

As for others attending MSB in similar situations she expressed her hope that they stay driven to see things through to the end.

“A piece of advice I would give to a current MSB-BC student nearing graduation is do not give up, you can do it! I know you can get overworked, I was. I was working fulltime, going to school fulltime and coming home to my three little girls at night. If you ever feel like you are alone you’re not. There has always been someone who has gone through what you have. Stay determined and finish strong.”