Massage Therapy Students Provide Relief to F-M RedHawks Baseball Team

Posted by on August 18, 2011

The grind of a baseball season certainly takes its toll. The F-M RedHawks Baseball Club plays in the American Association along with the St. Paul Saints, Sioux Falls Pheasants, and Lincoln Saltdogs. After playing 85 games in the last 95 days, and making long bus trips all over the midwest, players need all the help they can get to stay healthy.

Massage Student Heather Mohr works on the leg of RedHawks First Baseman Jesse Hoorlebeke

Massage students from the Minnesota School of Business-Moorhead provided some much needed therapy for them, performing sports massages for 14 members of the team. First Baseman Jesse Hoorlebeke, who recently became Independent Baseball’s Home Run King, took advantage of the opportunity. Hoorlebeke clubbed the 146th home run of his career last week and enjoyed the experience. “A lot of these are stretches we do, but it’s so incredible to have them single out the muscles and really loosen us up, Hoorlebeke said. “I’d love to have more of these and I really appreciate what the students did.”

Moorhead native Jake Krause is a shortstop for the RedHawks. He was also thrilled to get some therapy on his muscles and learned some new techniques to stay flexible throughout the season. “I found out that I really need to stretch my upper body better,” Krause says. “I get cramps pretty often in my shoulder blade area and now I know why.”

Massage Therapy Instructor Amanda Erickson instructs student Alexia Becklund on Sports Massage with RedHawks Shortstop Jake Krause on the table.

Students also relished the opportunity to work on professional athletes. “The players were so appreciative because it’s a benefit they don’t receive,” Massage Therapy student Heather Mohr said. Fellow student Alexia Becklund added, “It’s great to work on real pro athletes because their muscles are so much tighter and more defined than most of the people we get to work on.”