Plymouth Student Profile: Alana Peterson

Posted by on August 17, 2011

If you are on the MSB-Plymouth campus regularly, it’s likely that you know Alana Peterson.

Peterson, who is working towards her associate degree in veterinary technology, is the Vice President of the Plymouth Student Chapter of  National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America.

She also recently secured a job with Banfield Pet Hospital, and is a student worker in the campus library. Despite her packed schedule, you won’t hear any complaints.

“My entire experience here thus far has been awesome,” Peterson said.

The MSB Experience

Peterson started at MSB in April 2010 after her sister (who attends the Brooklyn Center campus) alerted her to the school’s veterinary technician program.

“I left high school planning to take a year off and ended up taking nine,” Peterson said. “I wanted to be a vet way back in second grade. I’ve always had animals and that passion followed me.”

Peterson has made significant progress towards her degree and is working part-time at Banfield, where she has a plethora of duties ranging from working the phones to dealing directly with clients and their owners.

“It’s pretty interesting [at Banfield]. There’s no down time and it’s constant work, but it has been a great experience,” Peterson said.

The Future Holds…

After a lengthy absence from school, Peterson has found her calling.

“I’m really happy with my decision and I know this is where I’m supposed to be. All the teachers are awesome and have given me the knowledge to be successful,” Peterson said.

Peterson’s goals for the future include running her own rescue shelter, for which she has already started planning.

The inspiration came from her own dog, which she rescued in 2006.

“She was beaten and used in pit bull training,” Peterson said. “She has had a hard time adjusting from that, which has included a lot of behavioral issues. Those are the animals I want to work with and help.”

Piece of Advice

Peterson had some advice for those at the beginning of their programs.

“Make sure you keep an open mind and if you have classes that you think are too tough, odds are you are going to come out of if learning more than you thought you would.”