New MSB-BC DECA President looking to gain leadership skills

Posted by on August 12, 2011

Debbie Vinge wants to jump back into corporate America after earning her degree from MSB-Brooklyn Center.

Debbie Vinge was recently appointed the new president of the Minnesota School of Business-Brooklyn Center’s campus DECA club. Vinge, who is pursuing a bachelor’s in business management with an emphasis in HR, said she is excited for the opportunity.

“I thought it would be a good way to develop my leadership skills which I lack right now,” said Vinge. “I’ve been turned down for jobs because I don’t have those skills.”

Although relatively new to DECA herself, Vinge expressed her hope that more students will get involved at the Brooklyn Center campus, which has about 12 active members.

“I’d like to see more students involved in DECA because it’s fun,” Vinge said. “You don’t need to commit a lot of time either.  We show up once or twice a month for an hour-long meeting and participate in some events.  I also helped out with the new student orientation which only took a couple hours of my time.”

Some of the responsibilities she will help oversee in her new role as DECA president are club fundraisers such as pizza sales, which raise money to send club members to the annual state DECA competition, as well as helping run the bi-monthly meetings.

Adding another responsibility in her already busy schedule won’t slow Vinge, who also works fulltime as a driver for the Metro Mobility transit team, where she’s been employed for nine years. She’s also a mother to five kids, four of which she inherited from her present marriage and has seven grandchildren.

“I’d rather be busy than sit around and be bored.” Vinge said. “I think it will be fun, a new challenge for me.”

Vinge previously worked for the Target Corporation in HR for 10 years, but due to her lack of a college degree the chances for advancement were limited. She is happy with her decision to return to school in September 2008 to pursue a degree at MSB.

“It took me 20 years to come back to school because I could always find an excuse and one of the biggest ones was either I would be one of the oldest ones in class or that I didn’t have the time.” She said.

When she made the decision to come back to school her boss at Metro Mobility told Vinge that for every quarter she made the honor roll she would pay for half of her books and for every quarter she made the Dean’s list she would pay for all her books.

“There have been plenty of quarters I have received free books.” Vinge added.

As far as her plans after graduating she says that she would love to get back into corporate America.

“I’d like to start as a HR generalist and then work my way up.” she said.