Celebrating August Birthdays

Posted by on August 12, 2011

Happy Birthday to our Staff and Faculty with August Birthdays!

We asked them to share their favorite Birthday memory with us:

Nicole Paulson, Director of Financial Aid
(August 10th)

My 25th birthday which was 2 days before my wedding because a lot of my close family and friends were already in town for the wedding so I was able to celebrate with them!

Mary SchmidtMary Schmidt, Executive Assistant
(August 11th)

I love to take vacations and travel to celebrate my birthday.  On one of my decade birthdays I was in the BWCA.  It is beautiful up there and I know a hordes of people flock there every year.  What made it memorable was that I portaged a canoe, walked on a log and did some rock climbing, all on the day of my birthday.  For those of you who know me, know that these things are not my normal thing to do.  What made it special was knowing that they were once in a lifetime activities.

Darrel Johnson, Maintenance
(August 13th)

Linda McManimon, Registar
(August 14th)

Growing up I always picked chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for my birthday.  It’s the best!

Carol Jaeger, Adjunct Instructor
(August 15th)

My favorite birthday memory is from my childhood. My grandmother, who lived to the age of 99 years, was an incredible cook, like what we refer to today as a “chef.” She made everything from scratch, never wasting anything.

For my childhood birthdays, she would make me two cakes, a Barbie doll cake with an actual doll surrounded by cake in the form of a dress and a lamb made from a cast-iron mold carried down through generations. These parties were a “big deal” attended by many children, all my contemporaries and cousins.

I am the only girl in the family with two brothers. I guess that is why my grandmother baked me special cakes.  Maybe that is the reason that I am “all about cake.” My favorite is white cake with raspberry filling and white frosting. Mary Schmidt can attest to that as it is a well-known fact at MSB that my request to celebrate monthly birthdays is for cake.

Sonia Sultan, Admission Representative
(August 20th)

Last year I went camping with a big group of friend from high school. It was a lot of fun.

Justin Staggs, Adjunct Instructor
(August 21st)