‘Horse ‘n Around’ Project Brings Fun to Area Kids

Boys & Girls Clubs, students team to offer equine-educational summer program

Four students at Minnesota School of Business-St. Cloud provided a rare treat to Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA)—they lead a local summer program where kids could feed and pet a horse.

For many of the youth, this was their first time interacting with horses. The Global Citizenship students showed them how to properly care for these animals and discussed equine-related careers. They also lead games, relays and art activities.

“The most rewarding experience was sharing my horse that served as a conduit … for teaching and mentoring the children,” said student Carmen Carlson. “This is what motivates me to continue volunteering with my horse.

“The look on one little girl’s face as she touched a horse for the first time was certainly proof that we reached our goal to make a difference,” she added. “I look forward to future service opportunities where I can apply the concepts learned in this course and continue my quest to be a better citizen.”

BGCA has served central Minnesota since 1974, offering sports, arts, health, education and character development programs.

“Overall, I know we did a great job combining our goals with the goals of the [Boys and Girls] Club,” said student Kyle Pundsack. “Service-learning is a good opportunity to teach others what I know, and it is also an opportunity to learn.”