Massage Therapy as a Career Can Change Your Life

Article written by:

Maria Leonard, CMT, MBA, Reiki Master

The other day someone asked me why I  became a massage therapist?  The first thing that came to my mind was, because it felt right.  As I thought more about it I realized that massage therapy had always been a part of my life.

I grew up in a family of 7 in a small farm town in Minnesota.  When I was a little girl I played the piano and worked a lot with my hands.  Because of this my hands and body were very strong.  I remember that my family would ask me to “rub” their shoulders and feet.  I would say “ok” with a smile on my face.  I loved to make people feel good. 

As I grew up and went out into the “real” world I decided I needed to do something important and massage therapy wasn’t important enough.  So I pursued many different careers ranging from office manager to Legal Assistant.  I never felt like I was doing what I was meant to do.

After a car accident in the early 90’s, while living in California and working as a legal assistant for a large entertainment firm, I decided I wanted to become a massage therapist.  I was making a great living as a legal assistant, but I wasn’t happy.

Against the wishes of some of my loved ones, I went to massage school, graduated, quit my legal assistant job and started massaging full-time.  I didn’t make a lot of money at first and I struggled, but I was happy.

I have been a massage therapist since the early 90’s and I have never looked back.  I am no longer a full-time massage therapist.  I currently work for Globe University/Minnesota School of Business/Broadview University as the Network Dean of Massage Therapy.  However, I am still a massage therapist, now I just help others find their way to the wonderful career of massage therapy.

Massage Therapy changed my life.  I believe in the depths of my heart that massage therapy will not only change your life, it can help change the world!